Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Le Toux Legit to Quit


I have to say that I experienced a fair amount of anxiety some weeks ago when I first heard that Sebastien Le Toux had left the Philadelphia Union in preparation for a transfer to the Bolton Wanderers of the EPL. My first thought was 'bad for the Union, but great for Bolton' who are languishing at the bottom of the EPL table. I found some solace in the fact that he would be playing for a team that needed help up top, in a league that I thoroughly enjoy - but what a pity that the MLS would lose him.

Le Toux, born and raised in Rennes, France, is one of the most exciting players to watch - he works hard on and off the ball for every second he is on the pitch. In 2011 he led the Union in goals, assists, shots on goal, and minutes played. Additionally, he received an honor again this past season, the Fair Play award, for not receiving a single yellow card on the season. This is remarkable considering that he was also a league leader in total minutes played. Of course, I am a die hard Earthquakes fan, but I have a great deal of respect for this man and his style of play.

Needless to say, I would not be anxious for too long, because by January 31 the deal with Bolton fell through and Le Toux ended up signing with the Vancouver Whitecaps of the MLS! Of course, I was very pleased to see him stay with the MLS and I can't wait to see how the Whitecaps benefit from his presence this season. On April 7 Vancouver will be playing the Quakes at Buck Shaw stadium, and as always I will be hoping for a clean sheet against the Whitecaps. But with a player like Le Toux up top, a clean sheet just might be too much to wish for. In any event, I hope the best for Sebastien Le Toux, and I hope that he will be an MLS'er for years to come.

1 comment:

  1. That should be a good game! I'm excited to see how all the teams look once the season starts.

    ReplyDelete